Traveling to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Have you been planning for a holiday in Providenciales? We sure hope so, because there’s so much to look forward to!
We’ve covered everything you need to know about this enthralling island paradise, from its international airport, local weather, and best-loved restaurants to the many water sports you can enjoy on Grace Bay Beach. Let’s go!
1. What time zone is Providenciales?
Great news for American tourists! The entire Turks and Caicos archipelago, including Providenciales, are in the same time zone as New York: Eastern Standard Time (EST). Therefore, travelers from other EST regions won’t supper from the notorious jet lag.
2. What's the weather like in Providenciales?
The weather and climate on Providenciales, much like on the other Turks and Caicos Islands, is generally pleasant and consistent throughout the entire year. Located between the Dominican Republic and the Tropic of Cancer, the archipelago enjoys a mild tropical climate with temperatures perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and other thrilling water sports.
But that’s not all! The rainy season runs from September and December, significantly shorter and milder than in the rest of the Caribbean.
3. Where will I land on Turks and Caicos?
The gateway island of Providenciales (known locally as Provo) hosts the only airport with regular international flights on Turks and Caicos: the Providenciales International Airport.
In fact, reaching Atlantic’s Island paradise couldn’t have been more convenient — it’s a 2-hour flight from Miami and a 3-hour flight from New York! In addition, you’ll find direct flights are from several U.S. cities, including Washington DC, New York, Atlanta, Miami, and Dallas.
4. What are the best beaches in Providenciales?
The islands of Turks and Caicos have many incredible beaches, but Providenciales alone is home to some of the archipelago’s best! We’re sure you’ve heard about Grace Bay Beach. Unfortunately, some other stunning coastlines on Provo may go unnoticed in its shadow, and it really is a pity. Below, we have listed the most beautiful shorelines you’ll want to walk on during your stay in Providenciales:
- Grace Bay Beach (stretches across the Providenciales‘ northeast coast; click for location)
- Read this article for more about Grace Bay Beach!
- Leeward Beach (on the northeast end of Providenciales; click for location)
- Long Bay Beach (on the southeast side of Providenciales; click for location)
- Sapodilla Bay Beach (on the south coast of Providenciales; click for location)
- The Bight Beach (on the central north coast of Providenciales; click for location)
- Blue Hills Beach (off the northwest coast of Providenciales; click for location)
5. Where can I stay in Providenciales?
Our brand-new waterfront resort may be the best choice if you plan to stay in Providenciales. You’ll find Aqua Divina at its quiet and serene northeast end, in the Leeward Settlement, within walking distance from the gorgeous Leeward Beach!
Leeward Settlement TKCA 1ZZ
Turks and Caicos Islands
6. Where can I eat in Providenciales?
We’ve got even more good news: restaurants on Providenciales are not only delicious but also highly diverse, so make sure to lunch like a local in Grace Bay’s eateries during your stay here. You can choose from a wide range of restaurants featuring anything from burgers to local and specialty cuisine.
For instance, only 15 minutes’ walk from Grace Bay Beach, you’ll spot Grace’s Cottage, a beautiful spot serving seafood-focused dishes. You will also find vegetarian, vegan-friendly, and gluten-free options. Other sports like Seven feature contemporary island cuisine and prides themselves on using fresh, local ingredients like conch and Caicos lobster.
But the great news is that you won’t need to spend too much to eat well in Provo! Many cost-friendly diners, like The Terrace on Grace Bay, serve excellent seafood varieties!
7. Where can I shop in Providenciales?
To take some of your Turks and Caicos’ magic back home with you, you could purchase some local artwork or souvenirs while you’re on vacation. By doing this, you’re supporting the islands’ economy while encouraging local artists to pursue and improve their craft. Here’s a list of the best stores for local art and unique souvenirs in Providenciales:
Moreover, shopping in Providenciales has never been easier with these all-in-one shopping plazas. You’ll usually find a diverse selection of restaurants, art galleries, gift and souvenir stores, as well as other holiday amenities at these bustling locations:
8. What else can I do in Providenciales?
If you’re ready to make the most of your Turks and Caicos holiday, here are some great ideas on how to enjoy Providenciales and its dazzling, world-renowned shorelines!
- Embark on a cruise or private charter from Provo
- Lunch like a local in one of Grace Bay’s eateries
- Have a cocktail in Provo’s luxurious beach bars and lounges
- Enjoy Grace Bay Beach at night with live music, beach BBQs, and bonfires
- Try out various exciting watersports, including diving and snorkeling, kiteboarding, paddle-boarding, parasailing, windsurfing, and fishing.
- You can also check out this article for even more fun ideas!